Rate Your Year of Effectiveness for God’s Kingdom in 2017
By Ricardo ‘Rease’ Butler
I don’t know about your 2017 year, but for me, this year was the worse year I have had in Christ since I have been walking with Him.
If I am to be honest with myself, there are several reasons for this. The primary reason for this is that I have lost my passion NOT for God, but for a lot of what has gone on in the church as a whole.
I know it shouldn’t bother me but looking at the potential of the church according to the Scriptures and what the church actually looks like can be very depressing. Especially, for me and maybe many others who pour out there lives to make the bride of Christ look beautiful, effective, and efficient for what God has called us to be and do.
The second reason which is the result of the first reason is I feel like I have lost my purpose. Since I feel like I have lost my passion for the ministry to the church I’ve lost my purpose or my “why”.
And this led to the third reason which follows along the first two is that I have lost my vision or ability to see God in anything anymore. My passion has died out, which in turn I feel I have lost my purpose and it is because of this I have no vision for what God wanted me to do in the first place.
I don’t want to continue to ramble on so I will just list the twelve areas that I believe effect every believer and rate my effectiveness by how fruitful or unfruitful I was.
Here’s a little key to rate yourself.
- Unfruitful (Works of Darkness) – You bore no fruit whatsoever in this area of your life. The pulls of the world, flesh, and the devil has choked out the Word of God in that area of your walk. (References: Matt. 13:22, Eph. 5:11) = GIVE YOURSELF A 0 (ZERO)
- Some 30fold (Good fruit) – You bore very little fruit. Example: leading one soul to the Lord is enough for a party to take place among the angels in heaven. (References: Math. 13:8, Luke 6:43, Luke 15:8-10) = GIVE YOURSELF A 1 (ONE)
- Some 60fold (Acceptable fruit) – You bore more fruit that is pleasing and acceptable in God’s sight. (References: Matt. 13:8, John 15:2, Rom. 12:1-2) = GIVE YOURSELF A 2 (TWO)
- Some 100fold (Perfect fruit) – You feel that you bore fruit that remains and has proven to be the perfect will of God in your life. You have gone the one mile as Christ has called it. (References: Gen. 26:12, Matt.5:45-48, Luke 6:40, Luke 8:8, Rom. 12:1-2, 2 Tim. 3:16-17) = GIVE YOURSELF A 3 (THREE)
- 200fold (Double Portion fruit) – You know that God has poured out over your life in this area as you have become a conduit to others to give of yourself pressed down, shaken together, and running over into the lives of many. You have gone the second mile that Christ talked about. (References: Joshua 1:8, Job 42:10, Ps. 1:1-3, Matt. 5:41, Luke 6:38, John 15:16, 2 Cor. 9:6-13, 1 Tim. 5:17). = GIVE YOURSELF A 4 (FOUR)
I hope this key made sense so you can rate, weigh, and judge yourself honestly so that you can make the necessary changes for 2018.
So here is how I HONESTLY DID in 2017, a year of no passion, no purpose, and no vision. I was NOT active in any kind of ministry for the whole year.
- In the area of WORSHIP, putting God first, sending time in His presence, reading His Word, meditation, fasting, praying, and just loving Him I rate myself a 1.
- In the area of MARRIAGE with my wife, being close to her, open with her, understanding her, being at one or peace with her, being loyal to her, holding her in high esteem, and loving her I rate myself a 2. (If you are not married then consider your relationship to your family members.)
- In the area of PARENTING with my kids by spending time with them, relating with them, activating them, imparting and investing into them, nurturing them and training them up in the way they should go. I give myself a big fat 0. (If you do not have kids, rate yourself by how you treat the kids in your family or any kids that you deal with on a regular basis).
- In the area of FELLOWSHIP with my spiritual children, my spiritual parent, other church leaders, my ministry team, the local church, other Christians in the community or in other denominations, or with the global church all over the world I give myself a 1.
- In the area of DISCIPLESHIP concerning educating, growing, and maturing myself in the Word of God or in the world or concerning mentoring, discipling, developing and training others in the ways of Christ I rate myself a 2.
- In the area of MINISTRY service that I have received in the Lord of my thoughts, time, talent, treasure, and the Truths of God towards others I give myself a 1.
- In the area of SPIRITUAL WARFARE and defending the things of God, fighting the good fight of faith, casting out demons, or just any form of warfare against spiritual wickedness in high places or religion in low places and carnal mindedness I rate myself with a 0.
- In the area of LEADERSHIP as part of my duty as a king or royal priest under Christ to influence myself through self discipline as well as influencing others around me to reach their potential in Christ so to advance the dominion of the Kingdom all over the earth I give myself a 1.
- In the area of EVANGELISM or witnessing or mission or anything that involved preaching the Kingdom of God and Christ our Lord to friends or anyone who does not know the Lord I give myself a 0.
- In the area of DOMINION CALLING to influence any one to several of the 7 mountains of influence of business, government, entertainment, religion, family, education, or media I rate myself with another 0.
- In the area of STEWARDSHIP which I also call giving, or entrepreneurship and business, and working in the workplace or marketplace or whatever you want to call it I give myself a 2.
- In the area of INCREASE which I classify as how healthy you are spiritually, emotionally, and physically and you are growing in the above 11 areas I give myself a 0.
If I add up my total, which is 10, divide that by the 12 for the listed areas and my score is 0.83. And this means I have been Unfruitful (Works of Darkness) – I bore no fruit whatsoever in my life as a whole. The pulls and lusts of the world, flesh, and the devil in my life has choked out the Word of God in my walk with God.
I am the fulfillment of the words of Apostle James when he said,
“For if any be a hearer of the Word [of God—Jesus IS the Word], and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass [a mirror]: for he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway [immediately] forgetteth what manner of man he WAS.” (James 1:23-24).
I feel like 2017 was the year that I have lost the joy of my salvation and the only two things that I consider to go some kind of right way was my relationship with my wife and making more money in higher paid jobs. Other than those two things I have had a horrible year in Christ.
I personally don’t feel connected to Christ, God or the church. I have lost my passion, purpose, and vision. This has been a very inactive year for me in the Kingdom of God and the Church. I have not been involved in any kind of ministry. I do not fellowship with believers. And working among nonbelievers in my jobs these last 18 months has influenced my heart, behavior, thinking, and communications negatively.
I have fallen far from God and all that He stands for and I feel horrible about it. I don’t pray even when I eat. And I haven’t read my Bible for a good deep or even simple study for over 12 months.
This Christmas has made me think about all of this and has left me empty.
The worse part about it is that I know how to go back and do my first works, but I have no passion so even when I try it’s a huge struggle for me and I just give up.
All I ask from you if you are reading this is pray for a few things to return to me today an on into 2018. My …:
- Passion of Christ
- Joy of the Lord
- Purpose from God
- Vision for the Church and the World
- Wisdom of God
Ricardo ‘Rease’ Butler